South Tyneside Academy Trust is a Multi Academy Trust which is sponsored by South Tyneside College, a large general Further Education college with a world-wide reputation in maritime education.
Its aim is to support schools in South Tyneside and the wider region who have joined together because they share a collective vision for excellence in education at all ages. The Multi Academy Trust believes children and other young people within its communities deserve outstanding academic and vocational opportunities and experiences from the moment they begin their educational journey to becoming successful people, able to lead happy, fulfilling and productive lives. It believes in building on solid foundations to provide an excellent education. Students come from a wide range of social and economic backgrounds, and the trust is committed to helping them to achieve their maximum potential, whatever their starting point.
South Tyneside College, the Academy Trust sponsor, has a high degree of competitive advantage and a significant worldwide reputation based on the following key factors:
- Good financial management, significant capital redevelopment and zero borrowing;
- A modern, rationalised and revitalised campus, with world-class maritime and engineering facilities;
- Good and improving quality and student outcomes – Ofsted rated ‘Good’ (December 2015, new short inspection regime);
- ‘Outstanding’ Halls of Residence – Ofsted, November 2015;
- ‘Meets all expectations’ - QAA HE Review (February 2014);
- Well-established, highly experienced senior management, with excellent business and professional expertise;
- One of the highest percentage non-funding body income in the country (51% in 2014/2015);
- Very good employer relationships, worldwide, nationally and regionally;
- Significant specialisms supporting regional and national priorities;
- Outstanding KPMG/Tribal 2015 benchmarking against best performing Further Education colleges;
- Strong relationships with employers regionally, nationally and internationally, and active membership of key employer bodies including IAMI, SEMTA, EEF, Chamber of Commerce, Advanced Manufacturing Forum, Maritime Skills Alliance, and Merchant Navy Training Board;
- Good staff morale and employee relations despite significant workforce restructuring and contract renegotiation; good staff survey results, good relationship with trade unions, low staff sickness and low staff turnover levels, and Health and Wellbeing at Work Gold Award;
- Successful introduction of 14-19 Career College North East, specialising in engineering, advanced manufacturing and computer science.
We know that the route to future success lies in maintaining the highest of aspirations for our learners and ensuring that, by the time they complete their studies, they are well-equipped to move onto the next phase in their education and future lives.
Download our Vision document